Friday, May 11, 2012

The 2012 Met Ball

The Costume Institute Gala, also known as the Met Ball, was held Monday night, and just so happens to be one of my favorite nights of the year. Of course, I've never been invited (Um..my invite must have gotten lost in the mail.) but that doesn't mean this gal can't stare at image after image as they are uploaded by the frantic paparazzi. The Met Ball is an annual event held in New York City to celebrate the opening of a fresh, new fashion exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum's Costume Institute. Movie lovers have the Oscars, music fans get the Grammys, and the fashion frenzy have the Met Ball. I've scoured the internet for my picks of the best and worst from the famed night. Sit back and relax, it's going to be a fashionable ride.

Best Dressed
Cameron Diaz in a custom-made Stella McCartney gown

I can't stress enough how much I want this gown in my wardrobe. I would hang it on my wall and touch it for good luck before I left my room. As far as her hair is concerned, I would like to say she has a faux hawk because her short hair limits up-dos, but that would be me denying the fact that every single person in Hollywood has hair extensions. (You're not fooling us, people!) Regardless, the gown is beautiful. 

Cate Blanchett in Alexander McQueen

I know I use the word "adore" a lot, but let's be honest - I adore this! The Met Ball is an event based on fashion, so I think it's the perfect night to be a little risky. Hence, the feather base of her mermaid gown. Spot on.

Diane Kruger in Prada

Uh oh, am I about to start wearing dresses with feathers? I'm noticing a trend here. I love, love, love the color of this gown. Plus, the breezy cut, long necklace, and simple hair make this look actually seem doable.

January Jones in Atelier Versace

Coming from a girl who can't use a sewing machine (Seriously, I can't. Don't judge me.) I have gobs of respect for someone who can pull together a gown with this much tailoring. Corset dresses are typically a little too "fierce" for me, but the sunny color and pretty peplum waist make me want this in my closet yesterday.

Camilla Belle in Ralph Lauren Collection

You know how everyone has that one star who they would die to look like? Camilla Belle is that person for me. Ironic, considering we are literally complete opposites. But really, she is stunning, so I'm happy Ralph Lauren could pull together a look that equals her beauty. I'm dying over the open mesh back.

Ashley Greene in Donna Karan

This gown is cut to perfection. It's whimsical without seeming baggy, but tight enough to give Ashley shape. Plus, I'm not a big fan of strapless dresses (they make my small shoulders look even tinier) so the little dip of fabric around her arm is a nice touch.

Hilary Swank in Michael Kors

Is it just me, or is Hilary Swank still boxing years after Million Dollar Baby? Seriously, does she have a bed in the gym or something? She's got amazing shoulders and arms, so why not show them off? I love this color on her, and the cut of the gown is incredibly flattering. Yet another reason for me to love Michael Kors.

Tom Brady in WhoCaresHesABoy and Gisele Bundchen in Givenchy Haute Couture by Riccardo Tisci

Dear Adriana Lima fans, eat your heart out. I'm a diehard Gisele fan, and really, who is going to argue after seeing this picture? Her dress is equal parts classy and sexy in true Victoria's Secret Angel fashion. Plus, didn't she have a baby? Thank you, Gisele, for giving me unrealistic expectations about losing weight post-pregnancy.

Solange Knowles in Rachel Roy

I wish I could explain how jealous I am of her hair. Not kidding, I think afros are absolutely stunning. Solange looks like such a natural beauty in this look, and I'm really loving the sunny shade of her Rachel Roy gown. Bonus points for stacked bracelets.

Lea Michele in Diane von Furstenberg

It's amazing how classy a plunge neckline dress can look on a girl who doesn't resemble Pamela Anderson (ew). I really wish I had an excuse to wear a dress this gorgeous, but in the meantime, Lea looks stunning!

Anna Wintour in custom-made Prada

Ohh, Anna Wintour. Have you heard of The Devil Wears Prada? (If not, stop what you're doing right now and go read it. If you don't have the time to read the novel, watch the movie, even though it isn't near as good). Long story short, it's about an assistant to the (evil) editor of a popular fashion magazine. Fun fact, the story is based on Anna Wintour, the Editor-in-Chief of Vogue. I could go on for years on how powerful Miss Wintour is in the fashion industry, but just as a preview - she is literally the reason for the heroin addict weight that many runway models are expected to maintain. When she was criticized for only hiring skinny employees, Anna replied, "It's important to me that the people that are working here, particularly in the fashion department, will present themselves in a way that makes sense to the outside world that they work at Vogue" (source). That being said, Miss Wintour is the hostess of the Met Ball, so I wouldn't dare leave her off of my list, even if she is wearing a dress with a sequin lobster.

Worst Dressed

Kristen Stewart in Wal-Mart

Just kidding. Kristen is wearing Balenciaga, but let's be honest - this is disgusting. As if the failed attempt at a color blocked mini dress isn't bad enough, look at those shoes. Are those tennis shoe laces covering her feet? Kristen, repeat after me, "This. Is. The. Met. Ball." She is giving Twilight a bad name, and that's saying something.

Mary-Kate Olsen in The Row

If Mary-Kate lived in Salem, Massachusetts she would be going through some serious questioning after this red carpet appearance. Seriously, Mary-Kate, you look like a witch. We get it, you're brooding and sexy and moody 24/7, but this is just wrong. 

Sarah Jessica Parker in Valentino

After years playing the most fashionable New Yorker to have ever lived, this is what we get? A sequel to Little Women? Not okay, Sarah. Not okay.

Elizabeth Banks in Mary Katrantzou

Let me start by saying that minus the umbrella she has over her shoulders, I don't hate the shape of this dress at all. Also, I also understand that mixing patterns is über trendy right now, but I don't recall anything about four of them. While Elizabeth's hair and makeup both look beautiful, this gown is just plain ugly.

Chloe Sevigny in Miu Miu

Security, the disco ball has fallen from the ceiling, rolled from the dance floor, and is trying to pass as a guest on the red carpet. It also seems to be missing half of its clothes. Oh, and steal her shoes and send them to Amanda Hoffman. That is all.

My Favorites

Darren Criss in Calvin Klein

What a dapper boy! As if his tux isn't snazzy enough, I love a man in a bow tie. Plus, his black buttons add a nice touch. Three cheers for Darren!

Karolina Kurkova in Rachel Zoe

Remember how much I loved Cameron's gown? Karolina just raised the stakes. Her gown is flawless and I have to admit, I actually like the turban. I get that it's a little weird, and I'm not saying I would wear it to an 8 am class, but it is the Met Ball, after all. When else can a gal wear head-to-toe sequins? (Literally, head-to-toe).

Oh, and did I mention the back is flawless?

Which Met Ball star is your pick for best and worst dressed? Let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...